Apply for the Abel Visiting Scholar Program 2024 – Fully Funded | Best Wishes!
Introducing the Abel Visiting Scholar Program 2024
The Abel Visiting Scholar Program presents a remarkable opportunity for scholars from the developing world to embark on a one-month journey to an international research collaborator, fully funded. This prestigious program aims to invite the most talented and brilliant minds to augment their research capabilities while collaborating with esteemed international mentors and renowned researchers worldwide. During this one-month research experience, scholars from developing countries are encouraged to think innovatively and employ diverse techniques, leading to exceptional research outcomes.
Funded by the prestigious Abel Prize in Mathematics and administered by the Commission for Developing Countries of the International Mathematical Union, the Abel Visiting Scholarship Program for international scholars provides a unique opportunity for post-doctoral mathematicians to pursue their research sabbatical in a global setting. Three grants are available per year, allowing scholars to apply multiple times within the same year for a chance to secure this fully funded opportunity.
The research scholarship program is tailored for post-doctoral mathematicians in the early stages of their professional careers, offering them the chance to take a research sabbatical that complements their teaching and academic responsibilities. It is a coveted opportunity, considering the limited funding available in the field of mathematics.
The Commission for Developing Countries, in collaboration with the International Mathematical Union, is dedicated to bridging the financial funding gap mathematicians face in the research field. Recognizing the wealth of valuable resources in Mathematics within the developing world, CDC grants annual scholarships to mathematicians, enabling them to conduct research abroad at no cost. This fully funded research program for Post-Doc will not only enhance the scholars’ research capabilities but also create an extensive international network, otherwise difficult to achieve.
Abel Visiting Scholar Program 2024: Funded By: Abel Prize Administered By: The Commission for Developing Countries of the International Mathematical Union
Benefits of the Abel Visiting Scholar Program:
The grant, amounting to up to 4,400 EUR (5,000 Dollars) for the applicant, covers the following expenses:
- Travel Costs: Economy class airfare from the applicant’s workplace to the host’s location.
- (Public) Transport: Rail or bus transport between the airport and the candidate’s headquarters or host institution. Up to four taxi fares (with receipts) can be reimbursed for travel between home and the airport/railway station.
- Hotel Stay: If necessary, the grant can cover one night each for arrival and departure.
- Visa Fees and Travel Insurance Charges: The grant can cover visa fees and travel insurance.
- Basic Living Cost: A daily allowance based on living costs. If meals are included in the accommodation, the daily amount will be adjusted accordingly.
- Accommodation Cost: The grant can cover accommodation expenses in the host country. In case no guesthouse or rented flat is available, a hotel stay of up to 4 weeks is allowed. Longer stays require renting a suitable apartment or guesthouse.
Important: While applying for the Abel Visiting Scholar Program 2024, Keep all invoices for travel, visa, insurance, accommodation, and taxi receipts. Send them by regular mail to the CDC/IMU Secretariat. Please note that during public holidays or when the host institution is closed, basic living costs may not be provided, but accommodation costs can be covered.
Eligibility Criteria for Abel Visiting Scholar Program 2024:
To be eligible for this program, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- The candidate must be based in a developing country at the time of application.
- The candidate must have completed a PhD at the time of application submission.
- The candidate must hold a position in a university or research institution.
- The candidates must not be full-time professionals but should be working on a contract in any university or college.
- The candidates must be early professionals and not exceed 35 years of age at the application deadline.
- The candidates may receive up to 3 years of age relaxation if they have experienced a broken career pattern, supported by valid proof.
- The applicant must have already initiated research contact with the proposed international research partners.
- Women mathematicians are highly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply for the Abel Visiting Scholar Program 2024?
Applicants are required to follow these steps to apply for the program:
- Apply for the Abel Visiting Scholar Program via the online application portal.
- Provide a detailed research proposal in the application.
- Furnish a list of researchers with whom they wish to collaborate.
- Present a statement about their current employment status or position in the home institution, signed and stamped by the employer, in the required format (provided by the program).
- Fill out a tentative budget form.
- Merge all required documents into a single PDF file to upload onto the Online Application Form.
Documents Required for Abel Visiting Scholar Program 2024:
Applicants must include the following documents to access the Abel Visiting Scholar Program:
- An updated CV.
- A research statement for the visit.
- An official invitation from the institution of the international research partner.
- A letter of recommendation from the international research partner or a statement from the host approving the research plan.
- A scanned copy of the PhD certificate.
- A signed and stamped statement from the current employer.
- A budget estimation for the research program.
Important Application Deadlines:
Applications must be received at least four months before the desired starting date. The selection committee will review the applications and award fellowships every four months. The result is announced on the Abel Visiting Scholarship program Recipients page.
The following deadlines apply:
- April 30, 2023, for visits between September 1 and December 31, 2023
- August 31, 2023, for visits between January 1 and April 30, 2024
- December 31, 2023, for visits between May 1 and August 31, 2024
If your application for the Abel Visiting Scholarship program is not complete by the deadline, it cannot be considered for the evaluation round.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, costs incurred from COVID-19 tests, quarantines, as well as COVID-19 vaccines can be covered by the CDC upon request.
Don’t miss this exceptional opportunity for the Abel Visiting Scholarship program to enhance your research capabilities, collaborate with global experts, and make a difference in the world of mathematics. Apply for the Abel Visiting Scholar Program 2024 now!